Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Patacones Recipe: Cooked Fried Plantains

In April 2014, I visited Guatape in Medellin Colombia, with some friends. After a great walk up the mountain, and of course back down, we had lunch at a very nice bar/ restaurant, called La Fogata.


As an appetizer, we ordered patacones, also known as cooked fried plantains (at least that's my translation).

Pictured here, is one of their fish dishes, and under the fish you can see one of the patacones.



 

Last night, as I was grocery shopping, I saw plantains and thought.. why not make patacones!
 
Now patacones, are usually made out of green plantains, and you add salt, for a savory taste.
But I only found nearly ripe ones, so they are more on the sweet side.


I cooked them, sliced them about 1 inch wide and flattened them with a rolling pin.

At first I tried putting them in a Ziploc bag, but found that it wasn't working. So I just put them on my chopping block and flattened them with a rolling pin.

I filled a small pan with some canola oil, for frying. Don't add to much, because you don't want to deep fry them.

Fry them on both sides till they are golden brown and put them on a towel to get rid of any excess oil.

Please do give them a chance to cool off, before you take a bite..

Been there... done that...and the burnt feeling on your tongue is not really worth it.







No comments:

Post a Comment